NC State Definition
- Behavior related to organizational membership or potential membership, regardless of consent or intentionality, that meets two or more of the following:
- Is inconsistent with the purpose of the organization;
- Is negligent or reckless in nature;
- Introduces risk factors;
- Increases vulnerability factors;
- Unreasonably interferes with academic activities or success
Risk factors include: (perpetration)
Vulnerability factors include: (victimization)
NC State Policy
- Code of Student Conduct
The Code serves as the basis for student conduct at NC State. It contains information related to the University’s jurisdiction over student behavior, academic and non-academic violations, potential sanctions available when a violation occurs, and information regarding interim suspension.
North Carolina Statute – §14-35
- Hazing; definition and punishment.
It is unlawful for any student in attendance at any university, college, or school in this State to engage in hazing, or to aid or abet any other student in the commission of this offense. For the purposes of this section hazing is defined as follows: “to subject another student to physical injury as part of an initiation, or as a prerequisite to membership, into any organized school group, including any society, athletic team, fraternity or sorority, or other similar group.” Any violation of this section shall constitute a Class 2 misdemeanor. (1913, c. 169, ss. 1, 2, 3, 4; C.S., s. 4217; 1969, c. 1224, s. 1; 1993, c. 539, s. 19; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 2003-299, s. 1.)